Please note: since AUC is no longer accepting new applications for admission for a February 2018 start, the application form below for the ASF Scholarship Fund for February 2018 should only be used by students who have already submitted an application for admission (or deferred) to start in February 2018.
Students who are applying to start at AUC in September 2018, please note that the appropriate ASF Scholarship application form will go live after 1 November 2017. The deadline for this application will be deadline of 1 April 2018.
When to apply
The online application form for students who have already applied (or deferred) to start their studies at AUC in February 2018 is now available online via the link below.
Selection will be done as quickly as possible in November 2017 for scholarships for students starting at AUC in the spring (February) 2018 semester, and you will be notified in late November/early December 2017 if you have been awarded an ASF scholarship. No correspondence with the ASF Selection Committee or ASF Board about the selection will be accepted.
Application form and instructions
The ASF Scholarship application form for students who have already applied (or deferred) to start their studies at AUC in February 2018 is now available via the link below.
The AUC Scholarship Fund offers two levels of full ASF Scholarship:
- EU students: EUR 5100 per year
- Non-EU students: EUR 15300 per year
“EU students” includes Dutch students, and refers to students who are eligible to pay the statutory tuition fee for AUC (wettelijk collegegeld).
Partial scholarships may also be awarded (these are usually 50% of the above amounts).
Selection and selection criteria
The ASF Selection Committee, consisting of representatives of the ASF sponsors and an independent chair, considers all the applications and recommends to the ASF Board which students should receive a scholarship.
ASF Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit and financial need.
In order to be eligible for selection for an ASF Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements.
- You must apply for a place at AUC. Admission to AUC is a separate process. For more information on applications and admissions, see links in left-hand menu. Only AUC students can receive an ASF scholarship.
- You must have excellent school results. These will be taken into consideration by the ASF Selection Committee when assessing your academic merit.
- You must have a strong motivation to study at AUC. The ASF Selection Committee will look for this in your letter of motivation.
- The ASF Selection Committee will also look at your extracurricular accomplishments and activities relevant for AUC, as well as your (potential) leadership profile and skills.
- You must be able to demonstrate your financial need. In other words, that it will be not be possible for you to study at AUC without a scholarship.
Conditions for receiving an ASF Scholarship
ASF Scholarships will only be awarded to the selected students who meet the following requirements. If you fail to meet the following requirements, you cannot receive financial support.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must be fully admitted to Amsterdam University College. The ASF Scholarship cannot be transferred to another academic year or another academic programme.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have satisfied all visa and residence permit requirements, if applicable.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have proven both merit and financial need.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee may not receive another full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the ASF Scholarship. AUC must be notified (contact the AUC Scholarship Fund, see link below) if the student has been awarded another full scholarship, and which scholarship the student has decided to accept.
Payment of scholarship
ASF Scholarships are paid directly to the students in 12 monthly instalments. Students are responsible for paying their AUC tuition fee themselves; the Scholarship Fund does not pay their tuition fees for them.
Conditions for maintaining an ASF Scholarship
We have high expectations of ASF Scholarship holders. You will be expected to maintain good academic standing throughout your AUC studies, with good grades and no periods of probation, or risk losing your scholarship. You will be evaluated after one year of study at AUC, and your ASF Scholarship will be awarded for another year if you:
- have successfully passed the first year (a GPA of at least 3.0 and preferably on the excellence list with a GPA ≥ 3.5)
- receive a positive recommendation at the end of your first year from your AUC tutor and the Board of Examiners
- can prove that the financial need base has not changed.
The same procedure is followed at the end of your second year. ASF Scholarships are not, in principle, awarded for more than three years/six semesters in total.
If you are receiving an ASF Scholarship and you decide to, or have to, end your studies at AUC without graduating, your ASF Scholarship will be terminated, and you must reimburse the AUC Scholarship Fund in full for all the ASF Scholarship payments you have already received.
ASF Scholarship holders are important ambassadors for AUC and for the Scholarship Fund. They are expected to participate in activities with AUC sponsors and other AUC contacts, including the AUC alumni network, and to cooperate in the promotion of the ASF. Your ASF Scholarship may be terminated if you unreasonably refuse to participate in such activities.